I want to update everyone on our March 18th community meeting.
Our community meeting speaker was Rana Goodman who runs the Stop Guardian Abuse NV organization. Rana told us some pretty horrific stories about elderly and disabled Nevadans who were abused by a state-appointed guardian. You can read more about this organization here: http://www.stopguardianabusenv.org/blog
There are a number of bills currently pending in our legislature to address the myriad problems with guardianship that must pass. Here is a summary of those bills and information on how to contact legislators.
AB150 Sponsored by Assemblyman Michael Sprinkle
Committee: Commerce and Labor
Please contact the members of the Commerce and Labor Committee:
- Put Please Pass AB150 in the Subject line
- Provide a brief statement about why AB150 is an important bill to pass
|Irene Bustamante Adams – Chair
Maggie Carlton – Vice Chair
This bill is in Senate Judiciary
SB168 Sponsored by Senator Becky Harris
For each member of the committee, please write:
- Please pass SB168 in the subject line
- Write a brief message about why reforming our guardianship laws are important.
|Tick Segerblom – Chair
Nicole J. Cannizzaro – Vice Chair
These bills are in Assembly Judiciary Committee
AB158 Sponsored by Senator Becky Harris.
AB229 Sponsored by Senator Becky Harris
AB319 Sponsored by Assemblyman Michael Sprinkle and Senator Becky Harris
AB130 Sponsored by Assemblyman Michael Sprinkle
AB254 Sponsored by Assemblymen Steve Yeager and Michael Sprinkle
For each committee member, please write:
- Please pass AB130, AB158, AB229, AB254, AB319 in the subject line.
- Write a brief statement on why it is important to reform our guardianship laws.
|Steve Yeager – Chair
James Ohrenschall – Vice Chair